Saturday, January 15, 2011

Revisiting Smeegol

My experience with Smeegol had been pretty good except for getting the wifi to work. Now that the wifi on my Lenovo S10-3 was normal, I decided to retry Smeegol. Smeegol 1.0.5 is still based on 11.3 OpenSuse repositories. I could not find one based on the in-progress 11.4.

I could install the wifi driver. However, I had to build it from source as the Packman repository had the binary only for the i586 version. The official Meego boots in under 30 sec. Smeegol took 40 sec. Not a big difference. Unlike Meego, Smeegol uses gdm to launch uxlaunch. The script startmoblin is run using the /usr/share/xsessions/smeegol.desktop.

The directory /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.moblin contains the gconf options for smeegol desktop.

It seems straightforward. So, the question is why is meego desktop not working in Fedora14? It just shows a white screen on Lenovo and on my desktop system. It has been reported as a bug in Fedora's bugzilla. Need to dig and try to narrow down the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment